Tuesday, October 14, 2008

The removal of Wisdom

Many of you know that I had a sudden chance to get all my wisdom teeth removed and I went for it on Saturday at 10am.  The acutal event was pretty easy.  I drove Mick and I to my usual dentist office where Mick was going to do the driving home.  Erik had a class he couldn't miss that day.  The oral surgeon was someone I'd never met before.  The usual receptionist, Tina, gave me the release form that I had to go through and intial all the what ifs.  I'd done research, so I was aware of all of them.  The possiblity that my jaw could be broken, a sinus cavity could open up, I could get dry socket, so on and so forth.  Doctor Lee, sat with me and talked over any concerns I might have had and within 10 minutes of arriving at the dentist office.. I had an IV put into my arm.  "Your going to start falling asleep soon", said Dr. Lee.  I laid back closed my eyes.  I remember then putting a lip seperater in my mouth and the next thing I knew, I was starting to come out of the sedation and they were still working on my Right upper wisdom. I vaguely remember them pounding on the right side of my mouth and the next thing they were asking me to get up slowly.  They helped me to another chair, and brought Mick in.  My mouth was so full of gauze, I couldn't talk and was trying to use sign language alphabet to communicate, but of course, none of them knew the alphabet.  It was pretty funny.  I got my pain med subscription along with some extra gauze.  I was in and out of the office in just over an hours time.

Since I wasn't in pain, Mick and I decided to head over to Walgreen's to fill my prescriptions.  While in the store, I started to ooze a little out of my mouth, so Mick went to get my gauze out of the car.  We walked the store picking up food items that I could eat over the next few days.  Apple Sauce, beans and chocolate ice cream to name a few.  I even bought a Claim Jumper chocolate cream pie.  I still wasn't feeling any pain at this time.

We get home about 12:30 and I immediatly camp out on the couch.  The pain has decided to set in and I'm suppose to eat something before I take my pain meds.  I can barely move my jaw at this point, but manage to get down a container of apple sauce and take my meds.  They don't seem to work.  My face is extremely swallon and I even cried over the pain.  I took a hot bath to soak my head because I had also developed a migraine and they always help my migraines.. It also helped put me to sleep for an hour and a half.  I woke up about 6pm and the worst of the pain had subsided.. I was on the mend.

Sunday, I spend most of the day on the couch and the swelling was half the size it was Saturday.

Today was Tuesday, and I'm only now starting to chew a little bit with my back teeth.  I've been craving a grilled cheese sandwich for days and finally decided to try and eat one and it took a while but boy did it taste good.  I'm still a tiny bit swollen, but it should be gone by friday.  I also have some slight bruising which I also hope is gone soon.  My follow up appointment is Friday morning before my fun weekend.  I hope I can eat my filet mignon at the wedding.

4 comments:

Loretta said...

Hope you are feeling better. I will see you on Friday.

Stratton Family said...

oooh isn't it fun!? hope you are feeling good friday for your Steak!

Mandi A. said...

thats nice it was all done at once...don't have to go through that again!

Unknown said...

Sounds like it went well overall. I hope you are fully healed soon! A grilled cheese sounds awesome right now!