Monday, September 18, 2017

Viewing Mayhem - So I'm watching Iron Fist

When Netflix first released Iron Fist, I was busy watching other television. With the reviews being so bad, I wasn't excited to watch it. But with the recent Defenders release, and my love of Daredevil, Jessica Jones, and Luke Cage, I finally decided to venture into the world of Iron Fist.

First, it is really hard for me to dislike something. I just started episode 6 and it is definitely not my favorite Marvel project. The pacing is just off and for someone who never looses, the Iron Fist is really good at not putting up a good fight at first with opponents who should be easy.  They must have been trying to save money on special effects because so far the "Iron Fist" is barely used. The writing feels a little disjointed, and it was weird seeing the character shift between him and Ward so quickly.

Second, there are bright spots in the show. I love seeing Claire of course who I am assuming will be the character who eventually will bring all the Defenders together. Also, the character of Colleen Wing portrayed by Jessica Henwick does a superb job. 

Third, Finn Jones does an ok job as Iron Fist. The writing hasn't been his best friend. His perceived naivete annoys me at times.  I understand he has been away from civilization since he was 10, but it is like he wasn't trained to be a grown up. As someone who is supposed to be The Immortal Iron Fist, he doesn't seem very much like a master and acts more like an impulsive angry man with family issues. I hope he matures by the season's end. On a side note, I did not recognize him as Loras Tyrell from GoT. He looks so different to me here.

I have 7 episodes to go. Sadly, I am unable to marathon shows due to my boys, so I average 1 to 2 episodes a night. Season 2 won't be here until 2019, but it will have a new show runner, so hopefully, we'll have improved storytelling. I do not dislike Iron Fist, but I do not like it enough to be in my rewatch pile. I do not regret giving my time to watch the show.

No comments: