Thursday, July 17, 2008

Swiss Miss Vs. Nestle Rich

At work, we used to use Office Depot where I could order Nestle Rich Hot Chocolate, but we recently switched to California Office Systems, and I can only order Swiss Miss Hot Chocolate with them. So why do I care about the Hot Chocolate packets, my work gives me for free?

A "poor man's" mocha is my favorite mid morning snack. Not too much in calories, and surprisingly, there is a little bit of nutrition in Hot Chocolate (better then the rice crispy treats my work also provides for free). What's a "poor man's" mocha you ask? Erik calls them that. It's when you take a hot chocolate packet and put it in a cup of coffee. I usually only fill it with half a cup of coffee, just enough to make it mocha flavored.

Today, I decided to taste test both Swiss Miss & Nestle Rich at the same time, but with out any coffee it them. Just the chocolate.

Swiss Miss Nutrional:
  • Calories 120
  • Fat 2 grams both Saturated
  • Choleterol 0
  • Sodium 160
  • Carbs: 23g of which 16 is sugar
  • Protein 1
  • Calcium 30% of recommended Value

Nestle Rich Nutrional:

  • Calories 80
  • Fat 3g which 2 are sat. (I just noticed in the ingredients that it contains Partially Hydrogenated Cocnut oil.. it does state 0 trans fats, so there is less then .5 grams of it)
  • Cholesterol 0
  • Sodium 170
  • Carbs 15g with 12 sugar
  • only 2% calcium

Taste: I prefer the Nestle Rich Chocolate.

I'd never put the nutritional info side by side like that. I just noticed the calories really.

Rich is lower in Calories, but a touch higher in fat and contains small amounts of trans and is 10mg higher in Sodium. It does have 8 less carbs but only 4 of those are sugar.

I'll probably stick to Nestly rich when I can just because of the calories, but Swiss definitely has it's benefits as well. It has a ton more Calcium.

2 comments:

Stratton Family said...

I dunno those calories could be deceiving... I'd rather eat a few more calories than more fast and sat. fat! I've always thought of sat fat as the fat that doesn't come off once its on there...I'm thinking 40 more claories may not be as bad as an extra gram of fat and what was it 2g sat fat?

tough decision in my book haha!

your nieces are very cute!

My Geeky Mom World said...

According to my research, Saturated fat is alright in small doses.. it's trans fat that your body doesn't need at all which is one reason I'm torn between them. Although, they both say 0 trans, when you read the ingredients, the Nestle one says partially hydrogenatied coconut oil which is a prime title for hidden trans fat. They both have 2 grams of saturuated fat, but nestle has an extra gram of other fats.