Monday, July 28, 2008

Taming Comic-Con's Pocket D Party

I know my title doesn't make much sense, but that is more or less everything I did the last 4 days.

It all began Thursday night when Erik and I made our 3rd annual trip to see Shakespeare in the park at the Palos Verde South Coast Botanical Gardens. This years production was "Taming of the Shrew." They placed it at an upscale resort. It was a lot of fun and the actors looked to be having a lot of fun performing it. The only issue for the night was the dew level. We were sitting on a blanket and it was pretty wet by the end of the production. We had a nice picnic dinner that I had put together with a bunch of stuff from Trader Joes.

Friday though. Saturday was already sold out when we decided we could make it Friday and Saturday. Erik dressed up as Vash the Stampede. I don't have a full body pic of Erik.. I'm hoping to find one that someone took of him at the con, but I do have a half one I'll post later from home, but the picture is what the character looks like.


Erik does a good job resembling him. Of course a lot of people had him stop so they could get his picture. We ended up parking at Qualcom Stadium because we knew parking near the Convention Center would be a mad house and cost a lot. San Diego's Trolley train system is great and picks up right at Qualcomm.Friday, we get up at 6:30 to begin our trek to Comic-Con is San Diego. This event it huge. It emcompasses comic books, tv, movies, video games, books.. really anything to do with popculture and entertainment. It start with Comic books though. It's a 4 day event. We only got tickets for Parking was free and the ride only cost 4.5o round trip.

theThe first stop is at Qualcomm so by the time we get to the last stop before the convention center train was packed.


We didn't get into the con till about 10:30, but immediately hit up the NCSoft booth so we could get our VIP passes to the party we were going to on Saturday night. If any of you don't know, Erik and I play an MMO (online video game) and have for the last 4 years. We like to go to events hosted by the community reps and developers of the game. They end up being a lot of fun. So after we got our passes, we walked the floor and boy is it packed there.

Lou Ferigno talking to a fan. Some Steampunks
Richard Hatch from BSG taking a pic with The Iron Giant from Ironman
Who Wants to be a Superhero winner.

I found Nightmare before Christmas Sally doll (I collect memorablia from that movie and it's really hard to find non Jack stuff, so I was excited about the Sally Doll). I also ended up finding a dress I'm going to wear to Bats Day this year which will be in November and not blistering hot August. If you don't know what Bats Day is, it's Goth day at Disneyland and it's a blast to dress up for. I don't consider myself Goth, but I have a lot of friends that associate themselves with the culture. We sat down and had a Pretzel Dog snack and looked at the panel event schedule. I noticed they were hosting a panel for Joss Whedon's "Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along blog" starting Neil Patrick Harris. I got to watch it in its entirity at my birthday party the Saturday before and I've been a huge Joss fan due to Buffy the Vampire Slayer (my favorite tv show), so we head up to see if we can get in. The line is huge, but after much discussion we decide what the hell. We end up not getting in, but the next 2 panels in the same room are for American Dad (erik really likes this show) and Family Guy (which both like).




We manage to get fairly decent seats and stayed through both panels. I have to say I really like Seth McFarland and Seth Green, and I like them more having seen them live in person. It's amazing the stupid questions people will ask them at panels. One girl gets up and asks "This question is for Seth, if you had a terminal illness like I do (Seth Green interrupts to specify which Seth since he and Seth McFarland are sitting next to each other) .. she's asking Seth Green. So she goes back into her question "If you had a terminal illness like I do, how would you continue to stay funny." It's not necessarily a stupid question to ask, but the way she asked it. Seth respond that it was a pretty heavy subject and at first didn't know how to respond then he says "I'd live everyday with Joyfulness, Yes I'D LIVE EVERYDAY WITH JOYFULNESS" Another guy asked Seth McFarland "What's with all the Mexican jokes" Seth's response "I don't know you tell me". He went on to talk about the shows being "Equal opportunity offenders". They really do make fun of everyone.


Well after those panels ended, we didn't really want to hang around for the one for the TV show Bones, so we headed over to the Venture Bros line. The line was fairly long, but we thought for sure that if we didn't get in for Venture Bros, then we'd get into the Robot Chicken one after (I really wanted to see the Robot Chicken one). The problem is, if someone gets into a room, they don't have to leave until they want to. There are room campers that just stay in a room all day and see panel after panel. Erik and I know what to expect for next years and will plan our events better. We got to walk around the exhibition hall one last time where we met up with our friends John and Arielle. Arie got some good pics of Erik so I'll probably post a link to hers. We headed back to Qualcom after that. Thankfully, Erik has a really old friend (he's known him since Junior High) who lives down there. He lives 15 minutes up the freeway right near where The Wild Animal Park is.


We stayed at his condo all Saturday, recouping from Friday and watching movies. About 7:15, we head back to downtown for our club outing. Mick drove down from Fullerton to join us. We get there and there's just a bunch of gamers standing around talking, but after a few drinks. We talk, dance, drink, and talk some more. I got to meet a guy I've been talking to for a couple of years on the game and I danced a lot. there will probably be some embarrasing pictures of me on the interent today. I was one of the only woman dancing all night. Met the cutest couple who play on a different server. it was just a lot of fun watching a bunch of geeks party hehee. I'll post pictures of the party in a separate blog.. the pictures are hard to load on here.


Ok enough about the weekend. For some reason, my back has just been killing me the last 2 days. I don't know if it's from the crappy twin bed Erik and I squeezed ourselfs in or dancing too much on Saturday night. I almost didn't go to work today because of it.

3 comments:

Mandi A. said...

Ill never understand the whole gaming thing, but it looks like you had fun!

My Geeky Mom World said...

A lot of it for me is it can be very social, and being raised by the mother I was, didn't help me not turn into a geek ;). I feel sorry for my furture children ;).

Mirdonamy said...

http://www.mirdonamy.com/photos/displayimage.php?album=298&pos=55#nav_pic