Thursday, December 11, 2008

Working 12 hours Sucks

Today was Options for Youth December graduation. I'm on the graduation committee and assigned to head the check-in table and flower hand out. I started work at 7:30.. got off at noon, and had to be at the ceremony site at 1pm. I managed to shove some fast food in my mouth as I drove over to Azusa from Chino. My minions and me set up the table and we had one person assigned to each location. Students were supposed to be there between 2:00-2:45.. of course, many students didn't arrive till late. There was even a student from my location who thought it was just rehearsal.. At least she arrived early enough that she was able to head home to change.

After the check-in table, my minions and me had to run the Flower table. During the ceremony, they do a presentation where the students take two cards with a flower attached to both and present them to those in the audience that helped them get through high school. It's my favorite part of the ceremony and this year, I was put in charge of making sure the cards were all put together and in order. After the students were done with rehearsal.. they got snacks and then they picked up their flowers and cards.. by this time it was after 5pm and I'd been there since 1pm.. Many staff just floated in at 4pm. It was nice to be more involved, but it would have been nice to be done with the check-in table. I have a feeling at our June graduation, they will have two separate groups.. one for check-in and one for flowers.

The ceremony was beautiful. I was talking to a coworker after and realized it was my 10th graduation ceremony that I've attend for Options for Youth. That is including my own graduation as well. Even though I sometimes complain about work, I truly feel inspired with I see students make it through and receive their high school diploma.

1 comment:

Loretta said...

Sorry you had to work so much!