Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Expenisve but Fun Memorial Weekend

For over a year, Erik and I have been putting the extra money that he got from business trips and I got from cleaning into a jar to save up for those extravagent items we have wanted, but didn't want to put on credit. We're trying to get out of debt not add more. Sure we could have used the money we were saving to pay off some debt, but I pretty much have that in hand and if I keep steady at it we'll be debt free in about 4 years. The credit is there if we need it for emergencies and such.

So far with the jar, we have rebuilt my computer, gotten a new printer, new entertainment center, my first none used couch, and this past weekend, we bought the most expensive item on our list. A 52" HD LCD Television. We were nearing what we wanted to save and I realized Memorial Day was coming up so we decided to wait till Memorial Day for any sale we might get.

Retail the Phillips TV we ended up getting runs an average of 2,100 - 3000 in price. It was on sale for $1799. It is a beautiful TV and sits perfectly in our livingroom (it wouldn't look right if it was bigger). It was nice to hand the cash over instead of using a credit card. We also got new cell phones this week the EnV2 with a qwerty keyboard. I'll have to pick up texting more now.

We also got new season passes to Disneyland and paid for 3 months worth of car insurance. Our stimulus refund came in and we decided to use it. I did put a little bit into savings. I do feel a little guilty over spending as much money as week did, but it was all for stuff we'd been thinking of for a while.

Next items I'm saving for (but now that I quit my cleaning job will take longer to save up for) are a new matress and frame (we're upgrading to a Queen from a Full). A new dining room table (I already know what one I want), new sound system for the TV, and we keep coming up with more items ;). Of course if I was to get pregnant in the next year, plans will change.

3 comments:

Stratton Family said...

Are you guys trying to get pregnant now? oooh I hope when you start to try you don't have problems. I hear so many people say it took them years to get pregnant.

There's nothing wrong with spedning some money on things you want. I think responsible people are boring hahaha jk but all of our friends are very into saving money and it seems like they forget to enjoy life sometimes.

Isn't it crazy how the "I want" list just grows and grows? Oh my god my list goes on FOREVER hahaha.

My Geeky Mom World said...

I know.. one thing leads into another.. into another. Not yet, It's mostly a space issue at the minute. I hope I don't have issues, but I know thyroid disease can complicate things. We shall see.

Mandi A. said...

Well my throid issue did not complicate anything...hence the surprise! Although Im glad it happened!

Good luck!